Company: Mayer Brown LLP
Diversity Team Name: Mayer Brown Diversity & Inclusion
Diversity Team Leader: Jeremiah DeBerry
The Mayer Brown Diversity and Inclusion (MB D&I) team has been an integral part of ongoing efforts to support and increase diversity and inclusion within the firm. Set forth below are a few notable examples of the team’s successful initiatives along with recent recognition.
Following many months of planning by the MB D&I team, the biennial Mayer Brown Diverse Lawyers Retreat was held in 2019 with the theme of “Promoting Diversity. Sponsoring Inclusion.” All of the firm’s US-based ethnically diverse and LGBTQ lawyers were invited to attend, along with members of the Management Committee and firm practice leaders. The goals of the two-day retreat were to provide (i) opportunities to meet and network with diverse lawyers from other offices and firm management and (ii) professional and business development training to enhance the attendees’ career trajectory.
During the retreat, Mayer Brown acknowledged the extraordinary efforts of three lawyers who went above and beyond in supporting the firm’s diversity and inclusion initiatives with the Mayer Brown Diversity Champion Award. Other highlights of the retreat included a keynote address by Morgan Stanley executive, renowned speaker and author, Carla Harris, professional and business development sessions with nationally recognized consultants, and a fascinating presentation by a leading expert on impostor syndrome. The MB D&I team looks forward to planning another successful and uplifting retreat for the firm’s diverse lawyers next year.
Additionally, to demonstrate Mayer Brown’s global commitment to diversity, inclusion and excellence, March was designated as Global Diversity Month. The firm held 20 distinct programs and events in over 15 offices around the world throughout March 2019. The onset of a pandemic curtailed most of the events planned during March 2020, however the MB D&I team converted various programs to virtual events and hopes to reschedule others when circumstances allow.
Furthermore, the MB D&I team launched an affinity group program a few years ago that now includes over 20 robust and active affinity groups across the US. These groups have made significant contributions to the firm’s diversity and inclusion efforts.
Awards & Recognition
- A Top 10 Firm for Diversity: According to the 2020 American Lawyer Diversity Scorecard, Mayer Brown was ranked in the top 10 for diversity among large law firms (firms with 900+ lawyers in the US).
- Top Performer: For the past four years, Mayer Brown has been named a Top Performer by the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD).
- Best Place to Work for LGBTQ Equality: For the tenth consecutive year, Mayer Brown received a perfect score of 100% on the Corporate Equality Index, a national benchmarking survey on corporate policies and practices related to LGBTQ workplace equality.
- Equality Trailblazer: Jeremiah DeBerry, Partner and full-time Director of Diversity and Inclusion, was recognized in 2019 by the National Law Journal in its inaugural list. Only 28 people were selected out of thousands of nominations.
- Responsible 100: Jeremiah was also a recipient of the 2019 Responsible 100 award that recognizes New York’s most outstanding corporate executives who embody the core principles of corporate social responsibility including diversity, equity, and community engagement.
Mayer Brown proclaims that its commitment to diversity and inclusion is unwavering and remains a top priority, as there is still much to accomplish. Their efforts have produced tangible results. Over the past few years, due to Jeremiah DeBerry’s service on the firm’s global Partner Promotion Committee, the firm has increased the diversity of its partnership by almost 200%. On behalf of the firm, the MB D&I team will continue to strive to provide a supportive and inclusive work environment that affords all attorneys and business services professionals an equal opportunity to succeed and reach their full potential.