2015 Diversity Leader
Army & Air Force Exchange Service (The Exchange)
Headquarters: Dallas, TX
CEO: Thomas C. Shull
Employees: 29,000 civilian and military personnel
Recent Recognition Includes:
- Military Times, Best for Vets: Employer, 2014
- MilitaryFriendly.com , Top 50 Military Spouse-Friendly Employers, 2014
- Military Spouse and G.I. Job, Top Employer of Military Spouses (Ranked #1), 2014
- LATINA Style, 50 Best Companies for Latinas, 2013
- U.S. Veterans Magazine, Top Veteran-Friendly Companies “Best of the Best,” 2013
- The State of Texas Office of the Governor, Lex Frieden Employment Award (for disabilities in the workplace), 2013
- Texas Diversity Council, Corporate Leadership Award, 2013
For one of the largest retail organizations in the U.S., diversity is key to its mission to serve America’s military families, wherever they may be, says Deputy Director Major General Joseph S. Ward, USAF.
“The Exchange operates on military installations in all 50 states, five U.S. territories, and more than 30 countries. The community we serve consists of active-duty service members, military retirees, and their families. When military members deploy to remote locations around the world, the Exchange is with them, offering products and services to bring troops a taste of home.
“In the words of our CEO, Thomas Shull, ‘The Exchange is at its best when it draws on the talents of all associates. Diversity and inclusion are at the core of our culture and represent the strength of our organization. We must continue our journey to recruit, hire, promote, and retain a diverse and inclusive workforce in order to create business advantages and opportunities for growth.’
“Our greatest opportunity for impact within our organization is at the field level. In today’s diverse and changing world, our customer base is diverse, as is our workforce. Our challenge is to drive associate behavior in our stores, using the lens of Diversity and Inclusion, to better serve our customers, regardless of race, gender or background.
“Our mission is to go above and beyond in service, and to remain relevant in the minds and hearts of our customers. We see the most synergy when we recognize the diverse heritage and culture of our workforce worldwide, and when we push D&I Initiatives, which cultivate professional and personal growth and inclusion, out to our associates at the field level.”