CEO: Henry N. Nassau
Headquarters: New York, NY
Building a Diverse Team of Lawyers
Dechert LLP is building upon its diverse team of lawyers to drive business success. As part of this, it’s Junior Associate Boot Camp is forging new relationships and creating a clearer sense for all employees of what it takes to succeed in a major law firm.
In 2016, more than 30 diverse associates assembled in New York for The 360-Degree Attorney event aimed at exploring distinct elements of what it takes to succeed as a Dechert lawyer. The boot camp included new hires bonding with other diverse lawyers and a comprehensive agenda including:
- Your Practice – An interactive session exploring the building blocks for success: key skills, measures of success, standing out, trends to watch in the coming years.
- Your Firm – Dechert chairman Andrew Levander explored the strategies underlying the firm’s commitment to achieving greater diversity.
- Your Clients – Nandini Mani, global head of litigation for Chubb; Chris McDavid, vice president and counsel for Pratt & Whitney; and Alex Wagner, chief of staff to the Secretary of the U.S. Army, discussed their career paths and ways in which being diverse has affected their practices.
- Your Community – Juan Cartagena, president and general counsel of Latino Justice PRLDEF, inspired lawyers to take advantage of pro bono and local volunteer activities.
- You – Exploring the pressures of fitting into a law firm culture. Marguerite Fletcher, senior consultant for the Vernā Myers Consulting Group, and Karinn Glover, co-founder of the Thrive Mindfulness Project, discussed how to manage stress, take care of oneself and when to reach out for help.