Company: Liberty Mutual Insurance
Diversity Team Name: Office of Diversity & Inclusion
Diversity Team Leader: Dawn Frazier-Bohnert
In 2013, Senior Vice President and Global D&I Officer Dawn Frazier-Bohnert built a team intentionally representing different generations, genders, locations, race and ethnicity, sexual orientation, and more to help develop and implement the D&I strategy for Liberty Mutual. The team models and practices what they share, collaborating closely and providing tools and direction for over 49,000 employees globally, to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace.
- Race & Ethnicity Collaboration: Modeled after our ongoing gender collaboration initiative, helps employees build skills in working across race and ethnicity.
- Leading at Liberty: partnered with our global leadership team on this integrated, enterprise-wide program with a focus on growth mindset and inclusive leadership skills.
- Global Collaboration: Our global strategy includes D&I foundational learning—Global Fundamentals—and Aperian GlobeSmart®, a cultural dexterity tool.
Tackling these new initiatives would be impossible without the strong foundational work from the D&I office in partnership with Liberty leaders and employees.
- Human Rights Campaign CEI score of 100 for third consecutive year
- 2019 Fortune magazine’s Best Workplaces for Diversity for the second time
- CEO David Long and Liberty Mutual participation in the CEO Action for Diversity & Inclusion™
- Inclusion in Action – Based on nine skills for employee communication and collaboration, the interactive, self-paced video series helps employees cultivate better work relationships and results. In 2019, based on our employees’ effective use of the Inclusion in Action eLearning, Liberty has made this video series commercially available.
- After hosting an effective Men as Allies Summit, established a Men as Allies Council, representing all business units to support ally development across the company in partnership with ERGs
- Expanded talent sourcing strategies, partnering with new schools and optimizing our D&I sponsorship portfolio
- Sponsored the NBMBAA Conference in Detroit, MI; ASCEND, the largest, non-profit Pan-Asian organization for business professionals in North America; Out and Equal Workplace Summit, and others
- Presenting sponsor and participant in The Commonwealth Institute’s 2019 Women’s Leadership Development in Massachusetts Impact Study
Employee Resource Groups (ERGs)
A major part of D&I’s work revolves around six Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), of which allies are key to the strategy. Allies are included in all of the ERGs, which focus on the following communities: LGBTQ+, African descent, Asian American professionals, Hispanic/Latinx community, Women and men, and active military/veterans.
Key ERG Milestones
- Expansion of ERG sites/ chapters across the country into eight major locations
- Annual ERG Leadership Year-End Meeting with CEO David Long and his direct reports
- [email protected] ERG now marches in ten Pride Parades
- [email protected] sponsored and attended the Association of Latino Professionals for America (ALPFA) Annual Convention
- Continued offering the [email protected] Scholarship, awarded annually to four Massachusetts students of African-American descent
- [email protected] launched community partnership with Women’s Lunch Place
- [email protected] co-hosted a Veteran’s Day event with [email protected], featuring Major General Luis Visot